It feels like summer here in Seattle, and I was inspired to design a light weight handbag with supplies from a Darby Smart Kit I had not used yet. The kit came with all the supplies to make two lovely custom pillow covers. I thought to myself how cool would it be to have “ampersand” pillows in the living room. However, time was tight, and since I did not have any pillows to cover, I decided to improvise and design a handbag from cotton pillow covers! Please take a look at more photos and tutorial below.
- Get the pillow covers ready to go, choose a mask, (this will be a custom design for your handbag).
- My mask was an ampersand sticker. Peel off sticker and stick it to the pillow cover.
- Make sure the mask lays out very flat.
- Spray the pillow cover with dye (my kit had black Sei Tumble dye). Wait around 30 minutes for the dye to dry completely.
- Peel off the mask
- Admire your creation! Either iron the pillow cover on high, to set the dye or place the cover in the dryer on medium heat for five minutes.
- Customize further your creation! I decided to add a few leather circles and used an EK tools circle cutter.
- Choose any other embellishments for your handbag.
Handbag handle instructions:
My diy decorative pillows kit* came with everything I needed to make pillow covers. So if you order this kit, you should have all the materials to make a handbag : ) What do you think? The possibilities are endless!
Thank you for visiting kraft&mint! If you enjoyed this post, please click the “follow kraft&mint” button on the right column. I usually post two crafts a week along with other editorial about diy projects. Also, below this post I have a few “share” buttons. I’d love for you to pin, tweet or post to FB this craft or any other projects you enjoyed. See you soon!
*This is NOT a sponsored post. I am a darby designer and enjoy their products very much ;) Crafting and blogging can be quite the addiction…
I’m linking this post to the following blogs: